From Humble Beginnings to Success
David Griffin's inspiring journey and realistic perspectives on personal performance is the result of his triumph over adverse conditions surrounding his childhood. Growing up in inner-city Cleveland, Ohio, David was the fifth of six children. His goal at an early age to become an accomplished athlete—and the discipline that came with athletics—enabled him to achieve many milestones.
David was Cleveland North Senate's Most Valuable Player as a high school senior; he earned a full athletic scholarship to Penn State University, where he was selected as team captain during his senior season; and he went on to play professional basketball in Europe.
His desire to achieve beyond basketball led him to further his education, earning a Masters of Business Administration from Lake Erie College and a law degree from Cleveland Marshall College of Law.
David is a businessman and a lawyer with more than 20 years of experience in public, private and athletic enterprises. David has extensive and unique experience in organizational success and personal performance. He has held numerous executive positions, including Florida Lottery Secretary under Governor Jeb Bush from 1999 to 2003, and Executive Director of the Bush/Brogan Second-term Transition Office in 2002. He is currently the Owner and President of David Griffin Consulting, with clients in Los Angeles, Nevada and Florida as well the Executive Director of Clear Health Alliance.
David giving back
David Griffin knows that from those who receive many blessings, much is expected. His desire to give back is among his core values, and his volunteer efforts are well-known statewide. His participation in Tallahassee's and Florida's civic life is extensive, and overcoming his humble beginnings as an at-risk, inner-city youth has led him to focus his pro bono work largely on the education and wellbeing of children. Here is a list of current and past volunteer activities in which he has participated:
• Past Chairman & Current Member, Board of Directors, Boys & Girls Clubs of the Big Bend
• Past Chairman, Florida Technology, Research and Scholarship Board
• Co-chairman, Governor’s Mentoring Initiative
• Founding Member, Florida Mentoring Partnership Advocacy Council
• Board Member, Volunteer Florida Foundation
• Board Member, Transforming Ministries
• Board Member, Take Stock in Children
• Board Member, Florida Tax Watch
• Board Member, Florida Retail Federation
• The Rotary Federation of Rotary International, Paul Harris Fellow
• Tallahassee Community College Presidential Screening Committee